Author Topic: MC-6 for sale  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Seayfam

• View Profile
MC-6 for sale
« on: April 02, 2012, 05:19:02 PM »
Hi all,
It has come to the point where my wife and I have decided to sell the bus. We really love this bus, but have decided we are going to be buying a fifth wheel if we can sell the bus. This is a beautiful bus that has been converted to a top notch RV. All the work has been done from 2001 to preset. This bus is a very rare bus and almost impossible to find in this condition. My bus is unit 20006 number 6 of only 100 ever built. For more information and pictures, you can look at my blog in my signature.
Please, only serious inquiries only. email me for a phone number.
Thanks
Gary
Gary Seay
Home Town: Homer Alaska
My bus: 1969 MCI MC-6 number 6 of 100
Drive train: 8v92ta 740 auto
More pics and info here        ***  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  ***

Offline artvonne

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: MC-6 for sale
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 05:09:15 AM »
  Gary, I am sad to hear this. But I am more curious to understand the logic. Can you explain the pro's and cons you feel of the 5th wheel over the Bus?

We had a beautiful 37 foot 5th wheel. It had four slides, and was absolutely huge inside once parked and set up. But on the highway it was ju st a b it ch going d own th e r oad, the ride was horrible, mileage dropped down 8 to 9 mpg. 55 to 60 mph was really the safest maximum speed, any faster just became real stressful. The 5th wheel weighed 17K pounds all by itself. When we parked, we were stuck driving a 1 ton truck anywhere we wanted to go. On a long trip nobody liked being crammed inside that truck.

The Mrs really loved that 5th wheel, she still has fond memories of it, it really was very very nice. At least when parked. But the only option I could see was moving up to a newer crew cab truck with a turbo, but the mileage was never going to improve. So instead, I sold the 5th wheel and bought a 32 foot Bounder diesel, and pulled a Jeep Cherokee behind.

What did we we lose? Nothing. Okay we lost a lot of space, but it was virtually unusable space with the slides pushed in, the space only existed when parked. Now if we wanted something to drink, or a snack, it was within arms reach. Everyone could use the bathroom going down the highway, stretch out and take a nap, read a book, watch a movie. It was quiet, at least 10 times quieter than the truck pulling the 5th wheel, incredibly comfortable, the mileage stayed the same, but I was now rolling 70 mph  with the same fuel mileage and didn't have a ginormous trailer that weighed as much a Bus behind me I had to watch.

Where 100 miles seemed a strain with the 5th wheel, I could put 600 miles behind me with the bounder and be ready for more. We put over 50K miles on that rig, all over the south eastern US, through the smokies, down to Key West, along the gulf, and many trips back and forth to Minnesota after we moved, and moving, I would never have done all that with a 5th wheel.

I expect our MC5 Bus will give about the same mileage, but ill be rolling on true HD OTR Truck running gear and tires. It will do everything the Bounder could do, with better parts and service support, and do it quieter with an even better ride.

I guess I think you would make a great mistake ditching the Bus for a 5th wheel. No better fuel economy, no weight loss and likely weight gain, more tires, and much less convenience. Besides, in this economy, your going to be giving your beautiful Bus away for a fraction of the expense and love you've put into it.
1975 MC5B 8V71 4 speed manual

Offline John316

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 11:50:01 AM »
Gary,

I am sorry to hear about that. You have a great bus, but I sure understand why you want to sell. I might do the same thing, at some point.

Any idea on pricing? I am just curious, and no, I do not want to buy it :D.

Hope it goes well for you.

John
1995 MCI DL3 S60 B500
8IN Roof Raise Front E Model Look Update
5 AC's

Offline Seayfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 12:43:33 PM »
Hi Paul, I really really appreciate your comments!
My bus gets 6mpg all day long no matter what speed or grades, it just doesn't seem to change much.
I travel about 10,000 miles a year around Alaska and down to Idaho and back. All the fuel prices between here and there are 5.00 to 6.00 a gallon. I used to have a 28' bumper pull trailer with one slide that I pulled back and fourth with a 3/4ton Dodge Diesel with a 6speed, It was around 7,000lbs. I would get 12 to 14 mpg with that set up. I am probably going to be looking for a smaller 5th wheel that is comparable to the bumper pull I had, but it will be safer to tow a speed. I know there are the trade offs to having a trailer verses the bus or class A, like the lunch, drinks, bathroom stops. But that is the sacrifice we are going to have to live with.

I even looked into converting my bus over to a series 60 and auto-shift tranny, and I just couldn't get the numbers to work. I will be very sad to see it go, but maybe some day when things get better, we can look for another bus.

John,
It will save me quite a bit with all the traveling plus the extra insurance. I listed it over on the BNO classifieds for 69,900. That is just a small fraction of the build cost. The interior is solid African Teak, that alone is about half of the asking price. Someone with the money will be getting one heck of a deal.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:31:20 AM by Seayfam »
Gary Seay

Offline artvonne

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:46:58 AM »
  Gary, I just want to say how much of an inspiration you and your Bus have been to me. You put that video together a while back, even our 14 year old daughter was deeply touched, seeing that these really arent simple slapped together RV grade junk, but rather showcases of peoples craftwork and love. They become not just another MC5 or MC6 or 4104, but a named machine of which there is only one.

Im sticking with the old 71 NA and a stick. Those autos and big turbo 92's will kill the hobby if fuel prices keep climbing. I am on the lookout for a 6V71 with a bigger box full of gears, and if I ever find anything I will grab it.

Again, im really sad to see you sell your Bus, but I do understand the expense.

Offline Seayfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 02:24:47 PM »
Thanks for those kind words Paul! That sure makes it hard to sell the bus. If I thought I could afford to keep it, trust me, I would. With the price of fuel going up, so does the cost of everything. As A contractor my fuel costs, my lumber, and everything else has gone up, but the price I can sell houses for has gone down. I was always taught as A kid to live within our means and that has changed a quite a bit in the last several years. If the bus don't sell by mid summer, we will drive it down to our place in Idaho and leave it there. We have a place there that we can keep it out of the weather and maybe use it a little down there when we are there. But the traveling from here to there is going to have to change for now.
Gary Seay

Online dave5cs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 12:21:51 AM »
Wow, didn't really think you were serious. Good luck my friend.
After these last 3 years and what we have gone through, We can understand pretty much anything like this. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Dave5Cs :( :'( :o
http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/

1979 MCI MC5C Saudi
6V-71, HT-740 Allison Auto
Roseville, Northern California

Offline billy6941

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 11:54:30 AM »
Gary, I know it's hard to let go of something you've put so much time and effort into. Maybe you should step back and think about this decision. My biggest disappointment is that I don't have any means with which to buy your coach. Your asking price has to be a fraction of what it's really worth and it is a beautiful coach. I've pulled big 5th wheels, owned several class A's, and 2 conversion coaches and the coaches were the best of the lot. Think this over seriously......Bill

Offline Seayfam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 10:31:15 PM »
Bill,
I hear ya! I would way rather drive the bus over the class A or even pulling a fifth wheel. Every time I get back into the class A after driving the bus, it feels like the class A is going to blow off of the road when a truck passes in the other direction. Not only that, the class A rattels to no end. Sometimes I think it is going to fall apart. The TV in the class A really scares me, It's right above the windshield and it really gets to shaking on the gravel roads. One part of me just wants to keep the bus, but the business side of me tells me to get rid of both of them.

I do know that this bus is worth far more than what I'm asking. It was a 175,000 build all done in the last 10 years. If you go into my blog and look at the price in the window sticker from 2001, you will see what the purchase price of the bus was before the build. Every time I get an email about the bus, I start to get a stomach ache. You never know... you might just trip over a pile of money.  ;D :o
Gary Seay

Offline artvonne

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 12:08:18 PM »
   Gary, if you do sell, stick to your price. Your fortunate to be in a part of the world where something like that is quite rare. And along with all your thinking and financial considerations, remember that just as fast as fuel can go up, it can go down. Not to many months ago we say fuel below $2.99 and dropping, all it takes is some changes like a pipeline project or a glut and everything can change.

Remember too, that a Bus offers a higher level of accident protection than almost any other vehicle. Add that into your considerations, I would hate to see what a 5th wheel combination would like like going off road, it would be a real mess we can be sure.

After 3 years living here I just found something in Arkansas I dont like. A friend went to get me some food while I was working in their yard. She hit a tree, totaled their car, and has been in the hospital with a fractured neck, fractured ribs and a fractured ankle. Now they learn their car insurance wont cover anything. They only had liability, but in Arkansas basic liability only covers the other guy and only if hes at fault. It doesn't cover household family members if the driver is at fault. So if my wife goes off road and flips with our daughter in the car, we arent covered under liability. Good to know, but wish I knew that a while ago.

Offline luvrbus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 01:02:39 PM »
Gary, when I sold the bus fuel was under 3 bucks a gal never 1 time have I regretted selling we love our Trek gets 14 to 16 miles to a gal,takes 7qts for a oil change tires cost under 200 each for top of the line tires made of all metal just the caps are glass

It was sad to see the bus go but owning one for 30+ years no big deal too me and the wife we knew fuel was going up and it will increase more.

We also make the journey to Idaho every year we have property in Idaho County and Boise county if you are going to be there at the end of July and  the 1st 2 weeks of Aug some other (Eagles) busnuts so far 4 with more planning on coming we all will be at Garden Valley at the property floating the Payette River come join us 

good luck

Offline Seayfam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 03:03:12 PM »
Paul,
I definitely plan on sticking to my guns. The only other thing I would do is trade it for a boat of equal value. I know... A boat you say. I could sell a boat here for top dollar and really fast. Otherwise I will just keep the bus. If the economy gets better and the fuel prices drop, the value of the bus is sure to go up. But I have other ducks in the fire right now, houses have dropped along with our buses if you know what I mean.

Clifford,
Now that sounds like a lot of fun!!! My wife and I have been looking for a piece of property in that area to build a small recreational cabin. We have been looking at a couple of pieces in Idaho City and Lowman areas. We plan on moving down to Nampa in a couple of years, and a cabin up in the hills would be a nice break from the city. We have a remote cabin here in Alaska that can only be accessed by float plane or ATVs.

We are working on finishing up a house here right now, and it's sold if I can get it done this summer. If I can get it done and closed by the end of July, I will be headed your way. You think those Eagles would let an MCI park next to them? lol
Gary Seay

Offline luvrbus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 07:45:31 PM »
Bring it on Gary ,Eagle guys don't care what type bus you have we are there for fun and heck I can even fix you up with some property make you a deal I'll even take payments we have been paying taxes on property for 30 years around that area on 13 parcels it's getting a little old and so am I lol

Clifford

Offline Seayfam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 09:37:01 PM »
Clifford,
Now your talking! Can you email me the details and price on the land? I am very interested in that!
I really hope to get done with this project and get down there in time to meet up with you guys. Now I know you have some land for me to look at, I'll have to work harder to get done and down there. ;)

Gary
Gary Seay

Offline rich gregg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 09:39:32 AM »
Gary if I didn,t have my 5 and you were closer that bus would be sold. Sorry about your situation but I totally understand good luck. That is the best deal out there Rich.
1966 mci 5a 8v71 4 speed stick we call her stainless and aimless
North East MD.